I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Feel free to read our full Disclosure Policy.
Mental focus is the most important skill when it comes to success in any area of your life. Focus is more than talent or skill. When done correctly, focus will help move you forward and help you reach your goals, no matter what they are. Focus means concentration on a particular task or problem for a period of time. It’s something you get better at with practice. Today we’re going to go over the 3 reasons why mental focus is crucial for success
Focus Keeps Distractions At Bay
Distractions like looking at your phone, checking email, browsing through Facebook, or watching video after video on YouTube, can derail your concentration. Because of all these distractions, it’s a wonder if anyone can get anything done. There is always something that demands attention or something else we’d rather be doing.
Focus Keeps You From Making Mistakes
Giving your full attention to whatever it is you are working on at the moment takes focus. However, because of this, you’re less likely to make mistakes. When your attention is divided and you’re not fully engaged in the task you are working on, consequently, mistakes happen.
Concentrating on your work allows you to make fewer mistakes, to begin with. Even if you do make them, you’re much more likely to catch mistakes and fix them. The end result is a better quality product, no matter what you’re working on.
Focus: Get’s Sh*t Done in Less Time
Have you ever worked on a tight deadline? Let’s say you have a project to finish that’s due by lunch. But before you can head out to meet a friend for lunch, this project needs to get done. Thanks to that looming deadline, what would usually take you half a day, suddenly gets done in 30 minutes. Best of all, the end result is often better than your usual work because you’re highly focused and flowing where everything just comes together almost effortlessly.
Some Tips on How to Focus
- Brain Dump/Organize. Write down every single thing that needs to get done. The following categories will help in making your list:
- Spouse/Significant Other
- Prioritize. From your brain dump prioritize in order of importance the tasks you need to accomplish first.
- Break it down. Break down your tasks into manageable bite-size chunks, then you can easily make time to do them.
- Use a Journal or Planner. I use an extremely well laid out planner that I can brain dumb, set goals, note important dates and block time. The planner I use is Panda Planner.
- Block Time. Block off chunks of time, like an hour or two to focus on any tasks you may have. Or schedule smaller amounts of time for the small stuff. If you schedule it, you’re more likely to stick to it.
- Use a timer. After blocking time, use a timer to get what you need to get done. This will help motivate you to get as much done as possible in a focused short amount of time.
- Get Rid of Distractions. Put that phone away, turn off the tv and tell your (most demanding) family members to give you some uninterrupted time to focus on your tasks.
Struggling to find your happy? Try the 5 Day Bliss Challenge now!